Friday, April 18, 2008

Individualized Education Plan


We had Alex's IEP meeting today. For those who don't know, an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) is exactly what it sounds like, a plan for your child customized to his/her needs for the next school year. Basically, whatever we decide we want for our child, legally the school has to abide by it. Like, if we wanted a clown to stand by his desk every afternoon and turn the pages of his book for him, they are obligated to do this. (Not that we would order this, but hey, it would be kinda cool.) We do twice of these a year, once at the beginning and again at the end of the year. It went pretty well, Alex actually got to sit in on this one. Which was a little weird for me. He got to sit in because this is the one slated for 'transition'. Meaning, your baby is growing up and you need to cut your apron strings Mom. I can remember going to these meetings in Kindergarten, and seeing that 'transition for 16 year olds' section and thinking to myself, that is SOOOO far away! Well, here it is. He will be 16 in a few short months. He has done so fabulously well battling this demon called Autism. I get choked up everytime I think about it. From the cute little 3 year old who wouldn't speak to anyone, to the handsome 15 year old who towers over me, with the facial hair and deep voice, who only cares about heavy metal and chicks. It went so freakin fast. Everybody says it does, when you have a baby, they say, "Oh, enjoy every minute, it will go by so fast!" And you think to yourself, yeah, I know, blah blah blah. And you do know, but you don't really KNOW, if you know what I mean.
So, anyway, back to transition. They ask us what our goals are for him, what career paths he is interested in, what social activities we want him to get involved with, etc. How long do we expect him to live with us post-graduation? I'm only half-joking when I say "Forever."
I don't want to think about these things. At all! Where will he go to college? Who will be the first bitch who breaks his heart? I know that's all coming soon. But I'm not ready!!! I will be one day, but especially with him, it will be so hard to let go and let him make his own mistakes. He's old enough to start driving for God's sake! I will need an endless supply of happy pills to get through this.

Aside to my own parents - I apologize for every single sleepless night I ever gave you; every time I yelled at you for worrying too much. I get it now, ok? Your curse worked.

1 comment:

MegatonMaynard said...

Quite the dashing fellow